Wednesday 19 March 2014

Glossybox VS Birchbox, March Haul!

Hello,

Over the past few days the March editions of Glossybox and Birchbox have arrived on my doorstep, and they have both really cheered me up after a very hectic week! Beauty boxes are nothing new, but the concept of being able to select the kind of products you like and get a bit of a random box full of samples every month is something I really enjoy. Especially when frequently the sample sizes are very generous, or even full sized, and retail at the higher end of the market! So for £10 a month (plus p&p) you often get a bargain. I've been addicted to many of the products this month so I decided to review them both!

Lets start with Birchbox. This month the box was Lulu Guinness themed, a designer that I love, who did a great job of picking out some winners with the Birchbox team.



  • Benefit Stay Don't Stray - Light/Medium, £20.50 full size (6ml sample size) - I'd been looking for a new eyeshadow primer so I was excited by this addition! Having tested it twice, I am pretty happy with the results. I've used the Benefit foundation primer before and been less than impressed, but this glides on well and my eyeshadow seemed to stay put.
  •  Molton Brown Rhubarb & Rose Replenishing Hand Cream £10 full size (7ml sample) - I'm not one to usually use hand cream to be honest, but this smells delicious, and actually I kind of keep using it mostly because I love the smell so much. My hands don't feel clammy after using it, and the moisturiser sinks in almost instantly. My hands do feel like they've been treated! I tried to buy some but it seems to have sold out everywhere right now.
  • Korres Citrus Body Milk   - £9.50 full size (50ml sample) - I love citrus smells and this is so rich and comforting. Again I am quite rubbish at remembering to use body moisturiser and this smells so nice I can't help but use it. It sinks into the skin nicely, too.
  • English Laundry No. 7 For Her EDP - £47.00 (small tester tube) - Birchbox have done well this month with great smelling products. This has a lovely hint of musk with fruity overtones. I have been wearing this as a welcome break from my usual perfume!
  • Dr Brandt Pores No More® Pore Refiner - £39.00 (7.5ml)  Now, this one excited me the most when I opened the box, because I do love Dr Brandt but can't justify the prices that often! This stops the shine and refines the pores. I don't think I'll buy the full version due to price (and I don't feel I need it that much) but I have been using it in the mornings and once or twice in the afternoons and I think it has definitely helped to reduce the need to re-apply makeup.


Next: Glossybox, which also came up with a great selection.














  • Sleek Make-Up Pout Polish £4.49 (full sized) - I really like Sleek, and I reviewed one of their lipcolours in a similar shade in this post. I've been quite happily wearing the two together and I like it - keeps the pout shiny and does what it says on the tin!
  • Bellapierre Cosmetics Shimmer Powder £12.99 (good sized sample) - This is a multi use product, which you can use as an eyeshadow or highlighter (I've been using it for the latter) but you can also use it with lip colours or nail polishes to add a bit of shimmer.
  • Dove Hair Therapy Intensive Repair 60 Second Treatment Shot - £1.49 (full sized) I've not yet used the shot, but it's always nice to receive a hair treatment!
  • Helenere Maitrise du Temps - £38.50 (10ml, full sized!) - This is pricey for a 10ml full sized, but it's great that we got a full sample in the box for such a high end treatment. I have used this and loved the way it settled straight into my skin without greasiness, and did see a noticeable firmness straight away.
  • Mitchell and Peach Body Cream - £38 (40ml) - Again this is a really generous sample size and it feels very luxurious, although I think the bodycream in the Birchbox wins for me as I'm not overly keen on the smell of this one. It's a bit rich for my skin and doesn't sink in too well, but it does feel moisturised. 

Winner: Glossybox was far more generous in its sample sizes, the Helenere Maitrise du Temps for me is a great sample and the box is worth over £65, which is a bargain for a £10 box (with £3.25 p&p). I don't know how much the Birchbox is worth in comparison, though it costs roughly the same, but the products were very well chosen, and I have honestly used and enjoyed all of them. Also, they win major points in my book for working with Lulu Guinness. The box came in very cool Lulu packaging and a black and white stick of rock, which I loved. Taking the extras into account and the amazing smelling products, the champion this month for me by a small margin, is Birchbox!

Check out Birchbox and Glossybox by clicking on the links.

Are you a beauty box fan? If so, which ones do you think the best ones are to subscribe to and why?



4 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to get into beauty boxes but then I'm kind of picky and scared I won't like what's in it.

    I'm currently having a giveaway, and would love for you to enter!
    notanobession.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Angela! Thanks for stopping by :) of course I will x

      Delete
  2. I HEART BEAUTY BOXES!! Currently I order from Birchbox and Ipsy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I want to try Ipsy but they don't deliver to the UK :( I don't think? x

      Delete