Wednesday 4 February 2015

Brazilian Keratin Hair Treatments - Just an Expensive Blow Dry or Hair Hero?

I've been thinking about getting a hair straightening treatment done for some years now, but there has been some part of me which has been holding on to the idea of keeping my natural curly hair. When I was younger, my well conditioned, soft hair used to form perfect curls and it was effortless. But those days are sadly long gone. I am kidding myself. When I first came across the idea of Brazillian Keratin straightening, and realised it only lasted for around 3 months, it seemed a perfect non committal opportunity to give it a go. So last week I bit the bullet, and went up to The Alterity Studio, a lovely little salon in Covent Garden in London. I found this salon through a Groupon deal, which meant I could get the £200 treatment for just £59! That's £59 that will supposedly save me an hour in the morning everyday, and give my poor hair a chance to grow without heat damage, so that sounded like a good deal to me.

I always have a strange deep set fear about visiting a new salon. I don't know if it's the anticipation of having to break the ice and make conversation with someone new for a substantial period of time, or the slight guilt at accepting a cup of tea from someone you don't know, or my past rare experiences of snotty nosed workers who look down on you for turning up in your t-shirt and jeans. None of this happened at the Alterity Studio. I felt instantly welcome, accepted gratefully the offer of tea (this was the day after my visit to Brighton, and needless to say it had left me a bit of a sore head that only a good brew could tackle). 

My experiences in The Alterity Studio taught me so much about the process. Keratin straightening is actually quite unlike other straightening techniques, it is a natural substance which exists naturally in your own hair and contributes to its elasticity. It coats the hair, rather than breaking the bonds of its structural make up, helping it to be healthier over time. Plus, you won't need to put the irons on it everyday!

How it works:

- Firstly, your hair is washed and blow dried
- The keratin treatment is applied carefully in very small sections to ensure every strand is covered
- The treatment is left in for 20-30 minutes
- The hair is then straightened again at about a 300 degree temperature, in very small sections so as not to miss a strand.
- Et voila! All you need to do now is NOT wash your hair for at least 24 hours (though some website seem to recommend 72). 

I have to admit I was a little skeptical, but the results have been really great. You can see the results below after just blasting it with the hairdryer (not even blowdrying!) My hair is now much shinier, smoother, and not at all frizzy, even when I leave it to dry naturally. Considering I have really thick hair, this is a victory in itself. Sure, if you want your hair poker straight you'll still need to blow dry a bit or get the irons out, but I'm not fussed about it being perfectly straight, I just wanted less unruly hair. Considering how curly my hair naturally is, this really is a lot better. I've not been straightening my hair really at all since the treatment. It's already thanking me for it! What's even better is that the Alterity Studio are continuing to offer such a great discount, which means it won't break the bank when I am ready to go back.


Jives wanted to get in on the action too!

Have you had hair straightening treatments before? Would you ever consider it?




8 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post, I have always wondered what how those treatments worked. I looks like you got great results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had hair straightening treatment before but I do use hair straightener every week. And it does make the hair worse when overused.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried hair straightening treatment once and wasnt too happy with it I must admit....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've wondered about hair straightening treatments. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hair looks great! One of my friends got it done and she loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great hair treatment, I used Ducray Anacaps ,for 2 months(when I was out from hospital)and it worked too.
    thank you for beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great hair treatment, I used Ducray Anacaps ,for 2 months(when I was out from hospital)and it worked too.
    thank you for beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete