Thursday 8 May 2014

Thrifty Homemade Face Treats & Happy Kids Blog Hop!

Hello,

I'm one of the co-hosts this week for the Happy Kids Blog Hop - you can join up at the bottom of this post!


I've decided to write a series of thrifty blog posts over the coming weeks to report back on testing out beauty and cosmetic tricks - from home made face masks to gel nails and much more. I've discovered lots of these beauty tips myself because I've found that maintaining everything (hair, nails, eyelashes, etc) through salons only, whilst once in a while is a nice treat, costs a lot of money! I've discovered that for me that often the contents of my kitchen cupboard can achieve what a spa day can in terms of results, and can be fun in the process.

I'm very much looking forward to these as I'm going to enlist the help of some of my good friends along the way to do it, hopefully developing them into some vlog posts as well. This week I met up with my friend Bella to test out a porridge based face mask. I'd like to say I got this from a secret recipe handed down from my grandmother or something, but in actual fact, one click on google unearths a huge number of these natural recipes (i'm annoyed to say that now, despite loads of trawling, I can't find this recipe or original site - please do let me know if this is yours). I chose this one because it was good for moisturising but not in a way that makes the skin oily, which is one of my constant battles.

You need;
1. An egg yolk. Bella kindly showed me how to separate the egg yolk from the white like a pro - I'd advise you on how to do this but my attempts since have not been successful!
2.  A tablespoon of honey
3. A tablespoon of olive oil
4. Half a lemon
4. Half a cup of oatmeal/porridge oats
5. Quarter/half a cup of water. Be careful here - we must have added too much water and had far too much of a runny mixture, and had to add lots more porridge oats to even the balance - it got a bit out of hand!

Put the mixture on and leave for 15 minutes - (it's advisable to cover all nearby surfaces first)

Egg Egg whites are said to tighten and tone the face and draw out excess oils, whilst the yolk moisturizes.
Lemon is great for skin brightening and removing dark marks from acne or scars/discolouration.
Honey is great for hydrating the skin and locking in moisture.


Clearly not the best look in the world..


Bella: "My face feels really really clean!'
Results:  It was a bit messy to apply and getting the balance of water vs oats is tricky - but persevere, because it really does work wonders. Bella mentioned the weekend after that her face had never been so clear that week - the mixture seems to have a balancing effect on the face and does leave you feeling really really clean afterwards.

4/5

I'll be back continuing this thread next week with a cat litter face mask (yes you read right) - which is said to beat £90 facials in some of the best spas in London. We'll see..

Have you ever made your own facemasks? Do you think they can be just as good as salon / expensive ones?

x


Happy kids inc Bloglovin Blog hop May


Your Devoted Host:

Meg Hodson Happy Kids Inc Bloglovin' Blog Hop Blogging

Your Lovely Co-Hosts:

Nummy For My Tummy Bloglovin' Blog Hop Blogging    The Thrifty Firecracker Bloglovin' Blog Hop Blogging    I am the makeup junkie Bloglovin' Blog Hop Blogging


Life Between the Books Bloglovin' Blog Hop Blogging     Downsizing Ashley Blog Bloglovin' Blog Hop Blogging    A Moment in My World Bloglovin' Blog Hop Blogging


1.  Add your link directly to your Bloglovin' profile below.  You will have to manually upload a photo of yourself (it will not automatically input from Bloglovin').
2.  Please follow your host, co-hosts, and sponsors.  It just takes a few quick clicks and it is much appreciated!
3.  Visit a few other bloggers in the linky, say "hello", and give them a follow.
4.  Tweet and share this hop!


Twice The Mum Bloglovin' Blog Hop Blogging



Happy Kids, Inc.

9 comments:

  1. That seems pretty simple, although the mess might not seem worth it. Can you make a large batch and store it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey - yeah I said the same thing, we had loads leftover without even trying to be honest so one go at this should make quite a few facemasks - just keep it in a tub in the fridge! I think next time when I make this at home I'll do that :)

      Delete
  2. I love egg white masks! Super messy, but I love how soft my face feels afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so good! I don't know if i'll ever buy expensive facemasks again..

      Delete
  3. I've always wanted to try homemade masks...maybe I'll go treat myself to one:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nay, thanks for commenting - it's so worth it! Not just because its cheap - but the results too :)

      Delete
  4. Love the mask and the result you mentioned but i am not sure about making it myself, maybe i can get a friend to do it with too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's loads more fun with friends! Makes the mess seem irrelevant :D

      Delete