Tuesday 27 May 2014

My Top 5 Current Trends!

I've realised recently that I have a tendency to opt for certain styles whilst shopping, and totally ignore entire trends just because I'm not sure whether they'd be right for me. I've always stuck with safe clothes that I know will work, because I know if I let myself, I have the potential to make strange fashion choices. Not that it matters what everyone else thinks, the most important thing is that you feel comfortable in your own skin but, come on lets face it, it matters a bit.

I first learnt that I had a bit of an imaginative fashion streak when I got all excited at about the age of 10 by a bright blue blazer that my auntie was throwing away, and wore it to an own clothes day at school. Now, there were some definite fashion faux pas in the form of 80's hand me downs before the age of 10, but this one was clearly my doing. It was very much noticed by my classmates, not least because it had gigantic shoulder pads that swallowed me up almost whole.  Continuing further down this train of thought, and whilst we're in the spirit of sharing, there was also  the mild attempt at a Cyberdog phase (where I tied a load of coloured ribbons in my hair and actually left the house) and my brief flirtation with being a goth. Not a good look for a pale ginger like me.

However I can trust in my own sense of knowledge in my shape and what works and what doesn't. With this in mind, and with the intention of not getting stuck too much in old habits, I decided to put together a list of items of clothing inspired by summer 2014 trends that I'm currently considering adding to my repertoire.



1. Cigarette Trousers  & Metallic Trousers

I've been seeing these around and I've decided its time to break my no patterned trousers rule (I tend to try and tone down my lower half).  On that note, I'm also loving patterned, loose trousers in general. These ones are from ASOS, but I'll be searching for a bargain on Ebay with my ever thrifty head on!



2. Open toed shoes


OK, this is not a fashion revelation at all. You may be wondering why this is even on the list as it's pretty much an essential for most people EVERY summer. This might sound really sad, and I'm desperately hoping someone empathises with me here, but I hate my feet. I generally wear closed toe heels which is really quite sad as there are so many pretty peep toe shoes that I want to welcome into the fold of my shoe cabinet. (and by that I mean my bedroom floor).  So this summer I'm going to get a pedicure and go for it. They're only feet, right?

I'm really liking these open toed heel sandals from Lulu, which would look great with a nice pair of jeans.







3. Crop tops

The crop top usually conjures up scary 90's images for me.  But I've been seeing some great crop tops around lately and, if done correctly, I think the crop top can actually look really cool. They're back in fashion so we may as well embrace them! I'm particularly loving high waisted skirts so that you are in actual fact only showing a small section of midriff, rather than the whole thing (I have somewhat of a way to go before I'm quite toned enough to do that).





 4. 60's Flower Power I actually love a good 60's inspired outfit, and I do venture to this from time to time. But I generally avoid floral, as people already think I'm floaty enough as it is without going down the frumpy route. But this kind of floral is cool, as is the fitted floral skirt above.




 
 5. Blazers

In a complete 180, and back where I started, I'm going to face my cringey memories and consider the blazer as a good fashion choice. I was clearly wise beyond my years back then, as there are lots of them on the high street now, reigniting the 80's vibe, like this one from Misguided. Blazers ARE great because they smarten up casual outfits and are the right kind of jacket attire for UK summer weather, too. Perfect!





So I guess my message is, BE BRAVE this season, and try something new that you wouldn't normally consider!

What are your summer must haves?

35 comments:

  1. I like the crop tops and also the 60's Flower Power ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm in trouble now I know that they ship to the UK :)

      Delete
  3. Those shoes are so cool! Great find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! I really like the brand - only recently come across them!

      Delete
  4. Oh I love the 60s flower power! And I'm not brave at all when it comes to fashion lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me either! i'm trying though :) thanks Christine!

      Delete
  5. Those shoes! One of my goals of getting in shape is to start caring more about fashion, because it's true - it does matter a bit, so thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I am trying to be more conscious too!

      Delete
  6. Love the metallic trousers, they are gorgeous. Love the post layout x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Miranda! I think metallic trousers are a pretty brave choice for me too but I guess it's all about finding the right pair :) Thanks for your comment x

      Delete
  7. I'm all for these trends! They are all cute! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just bought a few crop tops from rue21 and I am still getting the feel for them. While my midsection doesnt store a six pack, it is motivating me to spend some time getting fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does encourage you to do those sit ups! I'm just finding 5 minutes a day right now to do some tummy exercises. Thanks for your comment! x

      Delete
  9. I can't handle crop tops. Definitely not crop top tummy ready just yet!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair I have a way to go too - I can get away with the ones that only show a bit of midriff! Thank God for home exercises!

      Delete
  10. Darling blog!! These trends are SO CUTE! Thanks so much for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the 60s style! And I had the same feelings towards crop tops, but they have been growing on me more and more - paired with a maxi skirt and I love!

    Great blog!

    Caity @ Adventures Abroad Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is it - 60's and 90's are back so its a good job we can re-invent the trends in new ways!

      Delete
  12. Embrace your feet girl! I also love crop tops, my staple has to be ripped boyfriend jeans... (paired with a crop top maybe?)

    StarrJoy16.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to try boyfriend jeans cause i'm quite curvy but I think i do need to re-evaluate my current jeans selection! That sounds like a good look :)

      Delete
  13. Fun new trends! I always have a tough time being brave too and stepping out of my comfort zone when it comes to new trends. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such great trends. Love open toed shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alicia, bought a pair yesterday! Roll on the sun :)

      Delete
  15. LOVE those trousers. I think I need a pair. And the shoes. Also... I just bought a flower power crop top. So I am glad we see eye to eye on that. It will be in a post on my blog this week! WAHOO!

    ReplyDelete
  16. lovly new trends ;) really like your post :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love these choices *_*
    Great post

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like the metallic pants. I wish I had the guts (and the legs) to wear them.

    ReplyDelete