Saturday 12 July 2014

A Jaunt in the Big Smoke and a Review of The Monty Python Live Show!

So I don't normally do theatre posts (though, fun fact, I actually have a Masters degree in Contemporary Theatre), but last week myself and the other half hopped on a train to the big smoke to catch Monty Python - the last ever live show. I thought this most certainly deserved cementing in history, or at the very least, a blog post and a nod to the occasion.

I've mentioned my love of visiting the capital before, and nothing really excites me more than taking a few days out and exploring London. We decided to make a big deal of out of it and booked an airbnb for a couple of nights. We have an emerging tradition where we always find a good Groupon for a nice meal out when we go (call us cheapskates if you like, but its expensive to eat there) and this time was no exception, we found a lobster/steak meal for two with a bottle of wine for £30! Needless to say, I do quite like lobster.






We had a bit of a wander around Camden town during the day, I threw a new outfit together with one of my favourite Bershka shirts, and it also gave me an excuse to take out my new handbag that I picked up from 'Asylum'. My best friend runs the shop and honestly, I can't walk past without being coerced into buying something, (but I do love it all).














Now onto the show itself - I'm going to start by admitting that I felt like a bit of a sham going to see Monty Python. Trig got the tickets for us, but in reality my parents are much bigger fans than me and I've barely ever watched it. I almost felt guilty going, because I thought someone else should probably be in my seat! Every MP fan I've ever met can usually recite entire sketches by memory, which is just an indication of its cult following, really. Although they were initially only going to do one show, it sold out within 45 seconds so they kept adding new dates until it stopped selling out. We got tickets for the second night, and I tried to get myself up to speed before we went without watching too much MP at home and ruining it for myself.


We met some of Trig's workmates and chilled out in the Sky VIP lounge beforehand int he o2, which was a really nice touch! The staff were so friendly and made us feel so welcome.


I happen to have what we could call a minor fear of heights (OK - I really don't do well with heights) and luckily for us our seats were the very top of the arena on the absolute highest tier. Once I got over that (and begged to swap with someone for the end seat so I didn't have to climb over anyone) everything was splendid. The show itself was about 2 1/2 hours long. They did recycle lots of their famous sketches which they have been slated for in the press, but if you're doing a last show of an iconic comedy spanning decades, you would be silly not to. That is what their audience and fans clearly wanted. There were sketches even I recognised, their famous dead parrot sketch, for example, which was really great to see live.  Others I didn't know but would now like to watch. John Cleese was phenomenal on stage - a natural comic, they were all great. I have an odd sense of humour, and the slapstick elements don't usually tickle me, but I enjoyed it immensely.

They also added new material - with guest spots from Lee Mack live, and recorded material with Stephen Hawking and Brian Cox (Stephen runs him over and flies off into the sky to 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life'.. perfect) John Cleese, Michael Palin, Eric Idle, Terry Gilliam and Terry Jones all had such great chemistry and it was fun to watch, especially when things didn't go to plan.

What I loved the most, was that you could tell that they were old friends with history, getting together and having a laugh, remembering the good times, and nodding in respect to the late Graham Chapman, one of the original Pythons (they jokingly titled the show '1 down, 5 to go!).

The show closed to 'Christmas in Heaven' and 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' which everyone was on their feet to.

Overall I loved it - some things you just feel fortunate to be a part of.

Have you been to the Theatre lately or are you planning on going? Let me know! x




21 comments:

  1. I love Monty Python! I love going to musicals and plays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like a you had a great time and I agree, those seats look pretty high!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun. Your outfit is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love musicals and going to the theater in general! My all time favorite is The Nutcracker, though. Probably just because of the nostalgia. haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the theater! Don't have a lot of experience with MP, but sounds like it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute outfit + yeah, I would totally go see that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love going to the theater!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't been to a show in awhile but Monty Python sounds like a fun one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How neat! Sounds like a ton of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So jealous, I love Monthy Python! (well who doesn't I guess). The last show I saw was Jersey Boys last year, definitely due to go see a show!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are living in Australia at the moment and this post has made me so homesick for London! There's nothing quite like the excitement of the capital :) looks like a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a fun show! i bet it offered a LOT of laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a fun show. I haven't been to a good show in a while. I need to get on that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like you had a great time at the theatre! I haven't been to a theatre show since I was in high school. I would love to start going again, though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your outfit! I've only been to theatre shows at my high school, but I've really enjoyed those that I went to!

    xo, Hima
    Hima Hearts

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like fun! I haven't been to the theater since last year but I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am a huge theater dork. I actually have a degree in Technical Theater. lol! I just recently saw Cats again, not my favorite show of all time but it was a nice night out. I've always wanted to see the Monty Python show, but I never made it.

    ReplyDelete