Monday 7 July 2014

TRAVEL: Portugal & The Beautiful Algarve!

I've recently been on a series of little jaunts and the Algarve was the second installment. It's been an absolutely amazing few weeks!

Myself and my friend Penny visited Albufeira and stayed for 5 days.  We've been twice before, and this is actually my fourth visit to the same spot in two years, so its starting to feel like a home away from home. Now normally I'm not really a creature of habit and like to spend my holiday visiting new places, but, we've gotten to know a few people who work in the bars, I know the nice places to eat, the drinks are cheap and the temperature and surroundings are just perfect. Something about the place has got me hooked and I need my regular fix! Part of me really wants to spend a summer there, working or DJing in bars, and it's a fantasy I allude to everytime I go back. The beautiful Mediterranean sea is calling my name, and if I could easily do it, I would!

In some ways, Albufeira is ridiculously touristy and that would normally annoy me. But Albufeira has something about it, a cheeky charm, friendly locals, and I love that. I know that when I go there, I will be mostly going to chill out, eat and drink, and I'm okay with that, especially with a pretty stressful job back home. Relatively speaking, a meal out with wine will cost you about £10, so as long as you don't go mad you won't break the bank. Even in the height of the season, our hotel was £60 each for the week, and flights were £50 return, so we knew we were getting a cheap holiday.

In between chilling and more chilling on the beach, we did venture out to the zoo in Lagos! We saw a whole number of animals, including some cats and some monkeys, which was to be honest the main reason we went..




















 


We also went on a bar crawl, where the average age of everyone seemed to be about 16 and there was copious amounts of people using water guns to squirt sambuca into people's mouths, but we did make some cool Irish friends so it was 20 euros well spent.




And some robot friends.


The bars are great fun in Albufeira, and either in or out of season, you will usually find us in a little kareoke bar called Albertus! The staff are friendly and the atmosphere is great, which really is all you need.




A good relaxing week well spent! We also found pictures of Cliff everywhere..





Are you off on holiday anytime soon? I'd love to hear about your exciting summer plans!

23 comments:

  1. Ok everytime i read your holiday posts am jealous of one the destination and 2 the PRICE. I planning to go to zambia in september/october and I could seriously do with your tips for cheap/still quality bookings lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you guys had a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, this trip sounds awesome! that first picture is gorgeous! what a pretty view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so fun! We're in our summer vacation now and my boyfriend and I just got back from visiting our families at the beach! It was a much needed break!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uber jealous of your travel posts! Looks like you had one heck of a time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks beautiful there. I'm off on holiday tomorrow and cannot wait! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted to go on a bar crawl!! It looks like so much fun

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, how pretty! It looks like you had a blast!

    Katreena

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful place, I'd love to go one day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a good time! You make me want to travel more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like a really fun trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you had a lot of fun! I have never been to Portugal but I would love to be able to visit. Maybe one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That beach is calling my name! Love that you go on fun adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, that sounds like an awesome trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. One day right? I have a bucket list that is growing by the minute! I never thought about Portugal- maybe I need to add it to my places to see list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks amazing! I need to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, what a beautiful beach! It looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah this sounds beautiful and so fun! I need to add it to my bucket list

    ReplyDelete