Wednesday 24 September 2014

A Skincare Overhaul

Lately I've been really thinking about my skincare routine, and what products to keep in and which ones to ditch. I have too many products and can't afford to spend hours on my skin, but at the same time there are staple items which don't break the bank and I think are worth using. I thought I'd share my favourite skincare products with you, and justify why I love them so much!

My night time routine is actually much more complex than my daytime routine, as I really do believe a good routine aids you in your beauty sleep. Listed below is my nighttime routine (except for the nights that involve too many glasses of wine, for these occasions I do leave face wipes by my bed!)


1. The Clarisonic Mia 2. I actually wrote a post on this here, I love it so much! I use this in the evenings, used to use it twice a day but now I try and at least use it twice a week. It gives my skin a really deep cleanse, which keeps breakouts away, shrinks pores, and makes my skin feel really refreshed, too.

2. Olive Oil & Castor Oil mix - When I am not using the Clarisonic, I use a 30% castor oil mix with a 70% olive oil mix to cleanse my skin which works really well and moisturises too. Plus it's totally natural. If this sounds like a really weird suggestion, check out my post on this method here, I've explained myself as best as I can and I promise it does work!

3. Retinol A - I actually bought this off Ebay, initially skeptical, I've now moved up from a 1% to a 10% strength. Vitamin A is extremely powerful - I once spoke to a 50 year old who looks like a 25 year old and swears it's because she uses it religiously! I also originally learned about Retinol A when I started using Environ products - one of the reason they are so well received as a brand is their use of Vitamin A in their products. Sadly Environ is a bit rich for my blood - but this makes my skin look great so I see no reason not to stick to it.

4. Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate - This is an absolutely beautiful product and moisturises my skin with just a few drops and the lavender smell is lovely too. It calms stressed skin and I've noticed a glow since I incorporated it into my routine and replaced my night moisturiser with it!


Daytime:

In the morning I wash with my olive oil and castor oil mix again (honestly, I know it sounds mad but it's the best cleanser I've ever used).

1.  Murad Perfecting Day Cream - is a good SPF day moisturiser and I am trying to get into the habit of using SPF even in the winter months. This doesn't leave my skin looking greasy and sinks in nicely.

2. Pro Genius Omega Treatment oil - I use this instead of a serum as just a few drops in the morning provides ten active plant oils enriched with omegas 3, 6, 7 & 9 - it really hydrates my skin.


3. Environs Colostrum Gel - I had a skin review and they noted that my only major problem was redness. Since using this product my redness has decreased a lot - still not completely, but I am a pink skin tone as opposed to yellow so there's not much more I can do about it!

None of the above were too expensive - the omega treatment oil arrived on my doorstep in a beauty box and the rest I have sourced on Ebay for a fraction of their normal costs. For the most part, even store bought they shouldn't break the bank and are definitely products worth investing in.

What skincare products or regimes do you swear by? I love finding out about new products, so I'd love to hear about them. Follow my blog with Bloglovin

26 comments:

  1. I tried to use olive oil as a make up remover and my skin went insane. I wish I could use it though, it's a lot cheaper than the stuff I use now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no, how strange - works really well for me! did you use a hot cloth to remove it? i found that if I don't it leaves oil on the skin which perhaps can block you up a little :)

      Delete
  2. I am totally trying that Castor Oil and Olive Oil blend. It sounds awesome. And I am totally with you on the NUDE Pro Genius Treatment Oil, that stuff ROCKS! Great skincare overhaul!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many great products on here!!! This post is like gold to me. Question though, how does the olive oil/ castor oil work with oily & combination skin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still works as mine is combination skin/oily round the t-zone :) you need to play around with the amounts of olive oil to castor oil as the olive oil is quite moisturising and the castor oil a bit stronger, so you might want slightly more castor oil. Basically the oil removes natural oil so as long as you use a hot cloth and remove it all it will actually balance your skin! :)

      Delete
  4. I used to love my clarisonic, but i stopped using it for a bit and it just broke. I've debating whether or not to get a new one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard so many great reviews about the Murad Perfecting Day Cream! Maybe I should finally try it <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're pretty much similar with the skin cleansing routine. I love my Clarisonic Mia 2 also, and I love using retinol on my skin during the night time. Midnight Recovery Concentrate is such a great serum, I never did buy a whole bottle of it, just the samples but when I did have them - my skin felt amazing the next morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wash my face morning and night with Avene Cleanance, a habit I picked up living in France.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to try that oilve/castor oil cleanser!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never used the olive oil and castor oil combo as a cleanser but i have started using it to condition my eyelashes. the kiehls midnight recovery sounds interesting. for some reason my skin does not like murads.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Murad products are great. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These all sound like great things for your skin. I really need to start a skincare regime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the fact you use caster oil, it such a great product, I use it ton but I've never tried washing my face with it I really need to :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great! I like to switch up my skin care routine by the seasons. Now that it is fall, I want to find a nice moisturize to use at night before bed

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use my Clarisonic at night only. I can't believe it took me years to finally jump on it. It's incredible and leaves my face flawless :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love using the castor oil and olive oil as a cleanser! I notice that my skin gets really dry if i don't do it for a few days. the other cleanser that i use - and love - is Acure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL to the face wipes- I've definitely done that a time or two! This looks like such a great routine, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really want to try that Retinol-A, can you link to the shop you got it from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jessica, I just realised I didn't reply to you and I'm really sorry about that. I actually buy it on ebay, I go for the concentrated stuff (and obviously check feedback) I find that it does the same as the expensive bottled stuff with retional A in which is really what you're paying for. This one was really good for me, I'd start at 2%! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RETINOL-Vitamin-A-serum-2-ANTI-WRINKLE-ANTI-AGEING-INTENSIVE-FACE-LIFT-SKIN-/261489229238?pt=US_Skin_Care&var=&hash=item3ce1f8fdb6

      Delete
  18. Oil is such a fantastic makeup remover.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I use Julep's bare face oil as a makeup remover and love it - before that though I used baby oil (mineral oil).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Olive Oil is so great for your skin. And I love using oils as eye make remover! Great for your lashes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ohh Olive Oil and Castor Oil mix for the skin! I have never even thought about that. I use that combo for my hair and it works wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Have never tried Castor Oil but have heard nothing but good things about it. Maybe it's time to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've always been curious about the clarisonic mia! I've always read such positive things, I think I might finally need to try it!

    ReplyDelete