Wednesday 10 September 2014

Treading the Boards


A few years ago, I completed my Masters degree in Contemporary Theatre and thought, what now? I've never wanted to act full time. I was commissioned initially to develop a piece of work that I wrote and direct it in London and Cambridge, and I did that with a really wonderful cast. And then I let work swallow me up, and put my passion to one side.

My friend recently became a published author for the first time, and then subsequently published his first play. He needed a cast to help to workshop it and perform it on stage for the first time. He put out a call for an actress in my age group on facebook, and I thought, why not? 6 months later and many successes and setbacks, and an 80 page play to learn, and we finally performed it in two shows on stage last week!

'My Lot' and is a two act comedy that is a tribute to the modern day family who, despite the issues with 21st century living, can and do still carry the strength and values family life needs. The characters within the piece all represented some sort of stereotype. I played an over the top mother who bullied her slightly downtrodden husband, the other characters included a gay son, a pregnant teenage mother, a very smart and misunderstood daughter, a fussy auntie and senile Grandpa! The seemingly dysfunctional family is struggling with a blackout and have to learn to talk to one another. Little moments and revelations occur throughout during this time that really bring the family back together. The whole play is also thread between the telling of a really long joke! If you'd like to learn more about Darren O Sullivan's work please do click here.

The whole process was a lot of work but I was really honoured to be asked to be a part of it. It sort of filled a gap in my life that until then I had been too busy to notice was there. The play is set in northern England, so I also learned that I can do accents if I really try, something I was convinced I couldn't do before!

Most importantly for me, I met a group of local actors and actresses that are keen to work together on new projects, which is really great. We have decided to revive the piece that I created years ago, through another show in the local area. I'm really excited about this because it is really close to my heart and was a huge achievement for me to direct such a talented cast. The performance is called 'The House of Secrets' and is based within an actual residential house, and was written to raise awareness about sex trafficking. The audience interact with the show by walking round the different rooms, which all have different stories told by actresses in various ways. The feedback we had last time was really moving and I can't wait to develop it even further. You can find out more about this and watch a promo video here. 

Have you got any hobbies you don't get to do enough? Let me know!

29 comments:

  1. What a fun experience! Your new project sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the project! Sounds like it came along famously. Hope your future endeavors lead you to further fulfillment. You can tell you are passionate about your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome for you AND your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't get to write as much as I would like, or rather, I would love to do it full-time, but that doesn't pay the mortgage! How fun that you got an opportunity to relight the acting fire and help out a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun project. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome project! You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do! I love to knit but I haven't been able to in so long!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like so much fun, good luck on your new venture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a great project! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your project sounds really great. I love when someone takes an old tradition and puts their own spin on it. I also love art that is interactive and draws the audience in. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your new project, it sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that sounds unbelievably surreal! Congratulations! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't realise you were from the UK and just suddenly thought, were you at the 'Have You Seen?' launch last week? I thought I recognised you but couldn't think where from! I would have been the random girl looking at you oddly.

    Congratulations on the play! How exciting. I've always wanted to act but was so shy when I was younger and I could never sing (most plays involved some sort of singing)

    Katie <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie - sorry for the delayed response! No that wasn't me but that sounds fab - I hear I have a doppleganger floating around so I wish I had been there! Really want to go to more blogging events :)

      It's never too late to get into something new! I avoid the singing parts :D x

      Delete
  14. That is super awesome!!!! Congrats!!!! I love hearing about people doing amazing and creative things!

    Aside from being a cook, I have also been a guitarist for 14 years. I set aside time each week, but I really wish I could practice diligently like I used to when I was younger. :)

    My secret hobby that I would love to hone and partake in is voice acting. I love bringing characters to life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats, that's no small feat! It sounds like it all went well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! I love to read and play the piano, but rarely have time for either at the moment,

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds like so much fun! I wish I could get out of my comfort zone to do something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations to both you and your friend! I play trumpet... well.. I CAN play trumpet, and I own a trumpet... I never find time to actually PLAY the trumpet

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on the new project! I love hearing about people really going after what they want.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How fun! That sounds like a great experience :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just don't have time for crafting anymore. With work and CrossFit, I am swamped! I would love to get my Silhouette machine out again!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How fun does that sound! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  23. AWESOME! Congrats on going out on a limb to try something new! I got a guitar for Christmas last year and haven't picked it up once yet.... I NEED to find time to fit that in! Thanks for sharing and being inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my gosh! How fun! You go girl! Well, with a new baby I don't have time for many hobbies these days but I'd love to start writing more.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome for landing the role with your friend's production, and congrats on getting your own piece produced and live!!! That sounds so thrilled and self-fulfilling (great name, too)!

    I don't think there's ever enough time to fully satiate your hobbies, but I try to equally balance between all of mine... :) As long as I'm creating something (music, words, images, food, arts & crafts, etc.), I'm happy. :)

    xo,
    lauriel
    EyeForElegance.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations on this awesome project!


    Thrifting Diva
    www.thriftingdiva.com

    ReplyDelete