Wednesday 3 December 2014

Alice's Adventures in Istanbul

Hello,

I have been very much enjoying a month away - which means I have so much blogging to do now! My plan was to blog on the move but unfortunately my tablet helpfully self destructed, which means I now have a LOT of catching up to do.

Our first stop on our travels was Istanbul. I had heard so much about Turkey and the capital before I went, including that it was listed as one of the most beautiful places in the world. What started out as a brief stop off on our way to Singapore, actually ended up being a highlight of our trip away.

We stayed for three nights in the little district of Taxsim, which just so happened to also be the modern end of the city and its party central to boot. We opted for an Airbnb, and stayed with a lovely man called Melik and his girlfriend, who made us feel really welcome and included unlimited free tea! There are lots of cafes and bars around Taxsim square, and the area really comes alive at night. We found  solace in a little Irish bar called U2 (we didn't judge based on the name) whilst lost looking for our Airbnb, and ended up subsequently spending most of our evenings there. The bar owner was a lovely friendly Turkish man called Leo, who bought us stuffed mussels, local street food, and kept us stocked up with bar snacks. Leo generally gave us a great insight into what it was like to live in the city, and by the end of the three days we were all good friends, he even invited us back to stay with him whenever we wanted to! We also met lots of friendly Irish people, almost all of which seemed to have somehow originated from Tipperary (the same place as my Grandparents). It really is a small world.





















Central Istanbul has so much to offer, including the Grand Bazaar in Sultanahmet, the Blue Mosque and the Spice Bazaar to name a few. I was really in awe of the buildings and architecture. You can do some serious shopping there too, which tons of knock off brands if that's your kind of thing, particularly around the Grand Bazaar area. Trig hated the Grand Bazaar as he said it was just full of bags and jewellery, which is conversely my idea of heaven, so we had to agree to disagree. It is absolutely huge, and to step into a side alley can easily mean hours of being lost. This reminded me a bit of the souks in Marrakech to me with the bartering and trading,  although it did seem slightly more structured. Although the drinks prices were similar to the UK, everything else seemed to be a lot cheaper and quite flexible, we found that with the exception of bars and restaurants, there often wasn't a fixed price for anything.

We really wanted to catch a Turkish show on one of our evenings but couldn't manage it. I was also very disappointed that we didn't make it to the Turkish baths! However if there's one thing I won't miss out on, that is sampling the local cuisine, and I have to admit doing so turned the whole concept of kebabs (pronounced 'kebabs' there) on its head for me. If you buy a kebab in the UK, it's usually because its 3am and you've had a heavy night drinking, followed by waking up by a greasy wrapper and a feeling of deep regret in the pit of your stomach. Not so in Istanbul. We had some amazing grilled food with incredible seasoning, which I think may have been some of the best food of the whole holiday for me!






















Istanbul was just intended to be a short stop over for a few nights, that we took because it was on the way to Asia, and not necessarily to visit in its own right. However after spending the few days there, I did fall for the charm of the city and would now quite happily go back and visit Leo, do some budget shopping and eat some amazing 'kebaps' again in a heartbeat!

Alice x

11 comments:

  1. I hope to go to Istanbul someday soon. Lovely city and lots of cats :) Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an amazing trip!! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome that your impromptu trip turned out to be the highlight! Sounds like you guys had an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome! We wanted to go to Istanbul when we were in Europe, but we ran out of time. Glad I could hear about it through your blog! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also took a little break from blogging and now I feel like I am so behind! I'm glad you're back and sharing all about your trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, how cool! I have always wanted to go there. Sounds like you guys had a great time. I wish I could do cool travels like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a great trip! I love your blog title...and that fact that you are a fellow ginger :)! Have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing trip. My sister has a friend in Turkey and she went to visit him I think a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, Im so jealous!!! I would love to visit Turkey. One day, one day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so lucky!!!! Especially since Turkey was just a stop on your way to Singapore (also a fun place, lots of great food). Istanbul is at the top of my to-visit list. I've been to a bunch of places (just went to Thailand, Hong Kong, and London last month), but there are few places that seem as exotically beautiful as Istanbul. Thanks for sharing your experience!

    xo,
    lauriel
    EyeForElegance.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome stop-over! And you seem to have found the nicest people to stay with. Unlimited tea sounds wonderful! :)
    xo Caitlin

    ReplyDelete