Tuesday 25 February 2014

London Fashion Weekend - Favourite trends


 So I got last Friday off from my day job AND my night job (from spinning a few tunes) and hopped on a train to the big smoke, where I got to soak my retail senses in the world that was London Fashion Weekend.

Layla Frends headphones - £140
I know these aren't very thrifty picks below, and I'm going to have to ask you to forgive me for that in advance, and also point out here that I absolutely love high street, reworked, charity shop, and sustainable pieces. I love a bargain, and I love the individuality.  But a girl does still have to have the occasional dabble in the high end wish list. The exhibition was full of great British brands, and amongst my favourites had to be Emma J Shipley, and the Textile Federation, who are both incorporating some really quirky prints into their collections. Leading on the accessory front for me was Tessa Metcalfe Jewellery, and Jane Carr with her absolutely beautiful scarves, not to mention the genius bag creator that is Lulu Guinness, and Layla, who have some utterly beautiful headphones that are going to have to be mine very soon.
Lulu Guinness, Union Jack Lips Clutch £325
Textile Federation, Stellar Eye Dress - £60
Emma J Shipley - Lemur Scarf, £195


Tessa Metcalfe - Gold Pigeon Claw Necklace £250


Everyone I spoke to kept congratulating me for being there alone, calling me brave, and looking at me like I was some kind of ultimate weirdo. It just feels a bit odd pulling weird faces in photographs in some shades by yourself. With your best mate, funny posing = hilarious, on your own, funny posing = mental. However, I did treat myself to a few products from the label.m hairdressing stand which also meant I got to have my hair done in a style inspired straight from the catwalk. I went for the 'Bardot' :)


I also popped along to a trend catwalk, which meant I could glimpse some great new looks for this season.

A summary: lace is most definitely on trend (yes!) as are neons, flower prints, metallics, and... funky sportswear - which I can't say I'll ever be on board with. Sadly I didn't get any usable pictures as I was seated in a non friendly camera location, but I did meet a new blogger friend, Emily!

 Favourite trend: Lace Embrace - There were some gorgeous outfits paraded on the catwalk from the likes of Christopher Kane, Diane von Furstenberg and Oscar de la Renta.





Good Sport: Designers featured included Alexander Wang, Peter Pilotto and Stella McCartney, with some creative little sporty numbers that have been dominating the catwalk for a while. It's 'sports-luxe' so think basketball mesh bright colours and skirts with folds reminiscent of cheerleader pleats, rather than trainer wedges (shudder) but to me, it is still a wildly exaggerated throwback to the sports days we probably love to bury in our minds (and if you were like me, often had a sick note for). Perhaps that's why I don't really get this one!

Later, I met up with Trig who hotfooted it down to meet me after he finished work, and we rounded off the day by meeting up with some of my friends in Soho.  We ended up in a ladies only bar - needless to say he managed to blag that one very well with a beard. Random nights out are the best!

Alice x


Tagging the lovely Beauty Rae :) 







5 comments:

  1. That Lips Clutch!!!!!! So cute. New follower! found you on Beautylish! I'd love for you to follow back, and check out my blog! www.mybeautyytooth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done - great blog! Thanks for following x

      Delete
  2. I am loving the neons! I enjoyed reading about your experiences. Great blog! Thanks for stopping by and saying hi!

    Traci
    www.stylebytraci.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Traci! Thanks for popping over to my blog too :) x

      Delete
  3. I am all about the sporty look!love Alexander Wang!lovely blog you have btw!I'd appreciate if you stoppped by mine and tell me what you think!Followed!Follow back?
    xoxo,
    Rachel
    chicglamstyle.com

    ReplyDelete