Monday 23 June 2014

Fashion Thursdays Launch - Mixing Music and Fashion Shows

So I've been a little quiet lately as I've been doing a bit of traveling, which I can't wait to post about! But the two days I had in between coming back from Romania and jetting off to Portugal, I launched a new event called 'Fashion Thursday' back at home in Peterborough, in the UK, which I both organised and DJ'ed at.

About a month ago, I came up with the idea with a friend to mix in fashion shows with a club night, to showcase local brands and generally just have a good time. We chose a local haunt, Monroes (named after Marilyn!) which had a cool vibe and great cocktails - all the ingredients needed for a good night out.





Having not organised a fashion show in a while, it seemed a little daunting to do so in under 4 weeks, especially with a full time job and weekend DJ work, but I'm certainly not one to shy away from a challenge! I was really impressed with the professionalism of all the models, makeup artists and hairdressers, who worked so hard to help me to make this event a success at such a short notice.








We showcased two local retailers, 'Niros', who sell high end menswear, and 'Asylum', a funky high street store which stock on trend alternative and vintage styles. So a bit of a contrast, then! We generally don't have many events like this in Peterborough, so I thought this might be something new and refreshing. Needless to say, I think the experiment proved successful!

Huge thanks also goes to Moses Kambele, Josh Daniels, and Tom Gates who's photos are featured in this post!


Asylum






I was lucky to find some fabulous makeup artists and hairdressers, Eloise Wilson and Jenner McKenzie on the makeup, (below) and lovely ladies Mollie Walker and Laura Stringer working tirelessly on hair.



Niros Peterborough

Here are just a selection of some of the Hugo Boss and Armani suits worn by some fab models!






The night wouldn't have been the same without the two brands who came down to help out - Niros who were amazing helping us with rehearsing the routines and Asylum who just partied hard and made the atmosphere great!





 I of course worked really hard all night (with the occasional cocktail in my hand for good measure)



 And I wasn't the only one enjoying a cocktail or three!










It was such a fun night! It took a lot of overtime last month to get this sorted on a budget of almost zero, but with a lot of support and such a great team gathered in a short space of time, I think we did a great job.

What do you think of the pictures? Have you been to any fashion shows recently? I'd love to hear about it!


26 comments:

  1. I love some of those asylum dresses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Betsy - I've spent so much money in there as a result of this show because of liking things too much! haha

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great time! How fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to go to a fashion show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw you're more than welcome to come to the next one if you're in the UK! :) haha

      Delete
  4. I like the blue asylum dress. It reminds me of a 50's housewife but then you have the contrast of the hair and makeup. Just makes for an awesome look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely isn't it. I was tempted to get that one myself but I'm not sure it suits my shape. One of my favourites though :)

      Delete
  5. Looks like so much fun! Hope you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like it was a fab night right in my parents back yard (Huntingdon).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like that print on the black dress in the 4th pic. I can only see the back of it, but it looks great. :) It looks like a fun time was had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's so tricky to photograph fashion shows - i think next time i need them to stop and pause for longer!

      Delete
  8. YEAH, That looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks like the event came together nicely! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Esther! in the end we got there :)

      Delete
  10. Looks like a great event. Actually I love some of the suits for my husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are good aren't they! thank you :)

      Delete
  11. Looks like a lot of fun! Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you got some time to travel blog free! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! so much to blog about now haha :)

      Delete
  13. Looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete